There’s a saying in French here “Ca va aller.” It basically means, “It’ll be fine” or “Don’t worry about it.” It’s a very useful saying here. It works when I’m frustrated about something, when I’m stressed out about something, or when I don’t know what’s going on. It also works when I don’t understand what people are saying to me in French. I say it and people seem to just laugh. I have a feeling that “Ca va aller” may be a theme throughout my next two years here…

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bugs for Breakfast



July 24, 2010

My host family is awesome. They’re so much fun and super nice. Today, my mom and some friends braided our hair (we’re in host families in pairs of two. Lindsay is the other trainee I’m staying with).

So we helped catch breakfast tonight. We were sitting inside watching TV (PS – Family Matters is hilarious in French), and lots of bugs were flying into the house. I glanced over at the bugs. Apparently my interest was enough for my mother to say “On peut le manger,” to which I responded “Quoi?!” After repeating to me multiple times that you can eat these bugs, I finally realized that it wasn’t my French comprehension that was the problem, but my crazy notion that bugs aren’t food for people. So my host brother catches one for me and hands it to me. Not really a fan of bugs, I’m holding it by the wing with my arm extended. They keep telling me to eat it, and I’m thinking, “Wow my French must be really bad because there’s no why I’m supposed to eat this.” After letting it go, my host mom said she’d prepare some for us for breakfast tomorrow. When the rest of the kids went outside to catch them, Lindsey and I joined them for some bug catching. Can’t believe we’re eating bugs for breakfast. Good source of protein. Still not exactly sure what the name of the bug is, but from what I gather, they come in with the rains and are attracted to light. I’ll update you on how delicious they are tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erika -
    Sure do miss you.... I love your hair. p.s. Maybe you should dip the bugs in chocolate?

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete