There’s a saying in French here “Ca va aller.” It basically means, “It’ll be fine” or “Don’t worry about it.” It’s a very useful saying here. It works when I’m frustrated about something, when I’m stressed out about something, or when I don’t know what’s going on. It also works when I don’t understand what people are saying to me in French. I say it and people seem to just laugh. I have a feeling that “Ca va aller” may be a theme throughout my next two years here…

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Crispy...

July 26, 2010

Just a quick note. Time for bed right now. Bugs, not so bad. They were cooked, so they pretty much just tasted crispy. Not my new favorite snack, I’ll stick with peanuts. But if you had given them to me blindfolded, I wouldn’t have guessed bugs.

You know the episode of Friends where Joey tries to learn French? Sometimes I feel like Joey. I feel like I’m saying the right things, but nobody understands my French. Ca va aller.

We spoke to two midwives from CSPS in our training city today. Definitely thought a lot about the things I will see and preparing myself mentally for dealing with seeing really tough things.

3 comments:

  1. erika!! i'm so glad you have a blog. i've been thinking about you lately and wondering how you are doing. looks like you're doing well and having so much fun! i'll be checking your blog often. miss you! -shalon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So I know we email all the time, but I just read your blog...pretty bad sister huh.. Your hair looks cool! I can't believe you ate bugs. At least now that you're learning patience, you will be patient when you come home :-) But Seriously, this looks so cool! I LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you ate bugs. That's awesome. I'm so proud. I'm so glad that you are keeping a blog because it's awesome to be able to stay up to date on what you're doing. Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete