There’s a saying in French here “Ca va aller.” It basically means, “It’ll be fine” or “Don’t worry about it.” It’s a very useful saying here. It works when I’m frustrated about something, when I’m stressed out about something, or when I don’t know what’s going on. It also works when I don’t understand what people are saying to me in French. I say it and people seem to just laugh. I have a feeling that “Ca va aller” may be a theme throughout my next two years here…

Friday, September 17, 2010

First Night at Site

August 30, 2010
While it wasn’t as dramatic as expected, I don’t think any PCV will ever forget the image of the back of the Peace Corps car that dropped them off at site driving away. As it turned around the cornfield, the last person who spoke a little English, or for that matter, could understand my French, disappeared. But, I luckily didn’t feel alone. My counterpart (the head of the CSPS), who I had already met before, was with me. I was also moving into a family compound, so my family had dinner waiting for me. (So I made the mistake of saying I liked Riz Gras. My counterpart asked me what my favorite dish here was. I don’t really like any of them, none of them are really good, so I just said riz gras. I have a feeling I’ll be eating that a lot over the next 2 years.) Anyways, knowing that I was moving in with a family and that they will take care of me when I need it, made me feel a lot better.
Vaguely started to unpack. Need to get some furniture before I can really unpack. I realized that 2 years in one house will be the longest I’ve been in one place (apartment, dorm, camp cabin) since high school. Hopefully can get some pictures up with this post of my house.
So my village is way out “en brousse” (in the bush). Really – its way out. But it is absolutely beautiful. There were 2 other PCVs in the car with me when I was dropped off. I just laughed as we drove out. And then we drove more. I’m 12 km to the main road (if you really want to call it that) and them another 15 km to the nearest “city” (which is really just one street). That is the closest place I can buy toilet paper. Stocking up whenever I go…
First night went pretty well. It poured right after dinner so just hung out in my house. I did enjoy the chocolate I bought in Ouaga as a first night treat as I sat in a dark house when rain pounding on the roof, still in unbelief that Im actually here. Last time for chocolate for a while... Hopefully tomorrow I’ll have more of a chance to hang out with the family I’m living with. Also, will be meeting the CSPS staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment