There’s a saying in French here “Ca va aller.” It basically means, “It’ll be fine” or “Don’t worry about it.” It’s a very useful saying here. It works when I’m frustrated about something, when I’m stressed out about something, or when I don’t know what’s going on. It also works when I don’t understand what people are saying to me in French. I say it and people seem to just laugh. I have a feeling that “Ca va aller” may be a theme throughout my next two years here…

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Part of the Family

August 17, 2010

Wow, seriously learning patience and not stressing out every day. I had a list of things to do today during my breaks and had been planning exactly what I wanted to eat for lunch since breakfast yesterday. Of course it rained, so it meant not only did I not accomplish my errands during lunch, I also did not get my peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich. Making matters worse, I also got the rope I use to tie stuff to my bike extremely tangled in my de-railer (the thing that does something about switching gears on your bike. I don’t know if I’m fully functional on a bike yet...). But somehow, by the end of the day, I feel like I’ve had one of the best days I’ve had here.

This morning, I went for a run with my host sister (technically host aunt, but she’s also 23). It was really awesome because girls here don’t really have the opportunity to do sports, so everyone who saw us thought we were totally crazy!!! Also, this route is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the calm of the morning. Then this evening was just so comfortable. I felt like I was just another family member. My sisters helped me practice reading my notes for my presentation tomorrow. Wallyita, my 2-year old sister, started saying my name tonight. I think it means she likes me. She even said “Bon Nuit” to me. I think that’s the first thing she’s said to me the entire time I’ve been here. She usually just looks at me, somewhat confused. Our host mom always says, “Say hello” or “Say thank you,” but she usually just shakes my hand with a confused look on her face and walks away.

Another small success this weekend, no one laughed at me while I washed my laundry. I guess I’m finally doing it right. That or they’ve just given up hope. We also talked a lot about life here versus life back home. Taught my family the terms “top secret” and “creepy critters.” Some concepts that are really different to explain (in French) to a Burkinabé: Halloween and being a single, 23-year old girl.

Also talked to my 19-year old sister about her goals. She really wants to finish school, move to America to work and make a lot of money, and then move back here and by a big house in “Ouagadou-mil” (a ritzy neighborhood in Ouagadougou, the capitol city). She said it’s a big dream, that she might not ever realize it. It was a moment where I thought about how different my mentality was than the mentality here, and also how fortunate I am to have the luxury to have big dreams about what I want to do with my life and the opportunities to pursue and achieve my dreams.

Training is over in about one week, which on one hand, I can’t believe and feel like there’s too much more I need to learn, and on the other I’m thinking “FINALLY!!!” Ready to get to site, although I’m a bit nervous (which is totally natural. The first few months are really hard). Today we talked about what our first few months at site will be like. Still can’t believe what I’m doing! I’ve come to the conclusion that you have to be slightly crazy to join the Peace Corps…

Tomorrow, we have a counterpart workshop, which means we get to meet our counterparts for the first time! I’m super excited, but super nervous. I have talked to my counterpart (the head nurse at my CSPS) on the phone once and he seems super motivated and excited to have me.

No comments:

Post a Comment